1. Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar passed away on August 5, 2020 due to prolonged illness. He was 89. Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar had served as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra between 1985 and 1986.
2. Nobel Peace Prize winner Laureate John Hume passed away on August 3, 2020 following a long period of illness. He was a prominent Northern Ireland politician.
3. United States President Donald Trump has signed an executive order barring federal government agencies from displacing American nationals and citizens with foreign workers.
4. A massive explosion rocked Lebanon’s capital city Beirut on August 4, 2020. According to reports, around 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored in a Beirut port warehouse exploded, devastating large parts of the city.
5. Vivo, the Title Sponsor of the Indian Premier League 2020, has pulled out after a disagreement with the Board of Control for Cricket (BCCI) over a discount on the sponsorship fee and also in response to the growing opposition to its involvement in the tournament, as it is a Chinese brand.
6. Pakistan released a new political map on August 4, 2020 laying claim to Indian territories of Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh and parts of western Gujarat. India rejected the claim, terming it as ‘political absurdity.’
7. Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board has announced the resumption of Vaishno Devi Yatra from August 16, 2020, almost four months after it was suspended because of the COVID-19 pandemic.