1. India witnessed a sharp reduction (28 percent) in malaria cases between 2017 and 2018, according to the World Malaria Report 2019, which was released by UN’s World Health Organisation (WHO) on December 4, 2019.
2. India and nineteen countries in sub-Saharan Africa were found to have carried 85 percent of the global malaria burden, among which Nigeria accounted for most number of global malaria cases (25%), followed by the Democratic Republic of the Congo (12%), Uganda (5%) and Côte d’Ivoire, Mozambique and Niger (4% each).
3. The National Florence Nightingale Awards 2019 were conferred upon 36 nursing professionals. One award was conferred posthumously to honour nurse Lini Sajeesh from Kozhikode, who had passed away while caring for a NIPAH patient in Kerala. The award was received by her husband Sajeesh.
4. India will host the 4-day conference of the Asian Pacific Association of Gastroenterology from December 12, 2019. India will host the annual event after a gap of 11 years. The conference is expected to witness participation from about 4,000 doctors from across the Asia-Pacific region.
5. Santhali language made its debut in Rajya Sabha on December 6, 2019. The Austro-Asiatic language, mostly spoken among Odisha tribals, is one of the 22 scheduled languages of India. The language was used by Biju Janata Dal MP Sarojini Hembram to raise a matter of urgent public importance during the zero hour.
6. Artificial Intelligence has been introduced as a subject in class IX from academic session 2019-20 in all schools affiliated with the CBSE board. The main objective behind the move is to enhance multidisciplinary approach in teaching-learning and to sensitize the new generation.
7. Saudi oil giant Aramco has announced its initial public offering (IPO) at $25.6 billion, which is the world’s largest ever. The gulf nation’s state oil company made the announcement on December 5, 2019.
8. Priyanka Chopra was awarded Danny Kaye Humanitarian Award from UNICEF. This award is known as the biggest humanitarian award of UNICEF. She was nominated for this award in June, 2019.
9. Nirav Modi has been declared fugitive economic offender under Prevention of Money Laundering Act. The Enforcement Directorate (ED) had filed a petition against Nirav Modi.
10. Union Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurated the first Mega Food Park in Madhya Pradesh. This is central India’s first food park which is spread over more than 51 acres. Its construction cost is 150 crores. About five thousand local people will get employment from this mega food park.