1. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was awarded the commemorative World War II medal by Russian President Vladimir Putin. Kim Jong Un was honoured with the medal for preserving the memories of Soviet Union soldiers who died in North Korean territory during the war.
2. The Karnataka government has announced a new relief package worth Rs 1610 crore for all those in distress due to the national lockdown such as farmers, flower-growers, construction workers, weavers, auto and taxi drivers.
3. Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti’s preventive detention under Public Safety Act was extended for another three months before it was due to expire on May 5, 2020. The detention of two other leaders Ali Mohammed Sagar and Sartaj Madani- has also been extended for 3 months.
4. The central trade unions have urged the government to transfer Rs 7500 per month to all the needy, non-income tax paying, households for a period of at least three months.
5. The Telangana Chief Minister on May 5, 2020 announced that lockdown will be extended in the state till May 29. K Chandrashekhar Rao informed that the night curfew from 7 pm-7 am will continue in the state during the period.
6. Italian researchers claimed to have developed a potential coronavirus vaccine that neutralised the virus in human cells for the first time. An Italian firm, Takis, is developing the vaccine.
7. The Uttar Pradesh state government launched the Ayush Kavach app on May 5, 2020. The Ayush Kavach app aims to help people boost their immunity against the coronavirus by providing relevant tips and facts from Ayurveda.
8. The central government has extended the time limit for filing the annual GST returns for the fiscal year 2018-2019 till September 30, 2020.