1. President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Bharat Ratna to former President Pranab Mukherjee and posthumously to Assamese singer Bhupen Hazarika and Bharatiya Jana Sangh leader Nanaji Deshmukh.
2. The Archery Association of India has been suspended by World Archery for defying its guidelines by appointing two parallel bodies. Indian archers will have to compete in World Archery events as independents under the World Archery flag till the suspension on AAI is lifted.
3. Hashim Amla announced his retirement from all formats of international cricket on August 8, 2019. The South African cricketer has hit 55 centuries in 349 matches across all cricketing formats in his 15-year continued career. Amla said that he will continue to play domestic cricket.
4. Andhadhun won the national film award for Best Hindi Film and Padman won the Best Film on Social Issues award.
5. Uri Director Aditya Dhar won the Best Director award and Ayushman Khurrana and Vicky Kaushal shared the Best Actor national film award.
6. The 66th National Film awards were announced on August 9, 2019 by Rahul Rawail, the Head of the Jury for feature films. Hindi movie ‘Badhaai Ho’ won the Best Popular Film’ award.
7. The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development launched the Samagra Shiksha-Jal Suraksha drive recently. The aim behind the drive is to create awareness about Water Conservation among the school students.
8. Manipur topped the Breastfeeding and Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices ranking in India. The report on Breastfeeding was released by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
9. Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting, Prakash Javadekar launched the e-version of Rozgar Samachar recently with an aim to spread awareness of job opportunities in public sector enterprises, banks and other government sectors.
10. India’s High Commissioner to Singapore Jawed Ashraf signed the United Nations Convention on International Settlement Agreements (UNISA). The convention is also called “Singapore Convention on Mediation”.