1. The Supreme Court has constituted a new nine-judge bench to hear pleas seeking review of its previous judgement on the Sabarimala issue. The bench will take up all the review petitions from January 13, 2020.
2. JMM’s Ravindra Nath Mahto was unanimously elected as the new speaker of Jharkhand Legislative Assembly on January 7, 2020. He was administered the oath of the office by Protem Speaker Stephen Marandi.
3. The state government of Himachal Pradesh launched Himachal MyGov portal in Shimla on January 7, 2020. The portal has been launched to strengthen public participation in the governance process. It is expected to serve as an innovative platform to build a partnership between the citizens and the government with the help of technology.
4. The third edition of the Khelo India Youth Games-2020 will advocate for the elimination of single-use plastics by emphasizing on responsible use of plastic material and proper collection and disposal of plastic waste. The Khelo India Youth Games-2020 will be held in Guwahati, Assam from January 10-22, 2020.
5. The cabinet of United Arab Emirates (UAE) has approved the issuance of a five-year multi-entry tourist visa for all people visiting the country. The move aims to boost UAE’s tourism economy and affirm its position as a global tourist destination.
6. The West Bengal government has decided to provide insurance coverage of Rs five lakh each to the Ganga Sagar pilgrims. This was announced by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee. The Chief Minister also announced that the state administration has done all necessary arrangements for drinking water supply and accommodation facilities for the devotees.
7. PH Pandian, former Speaker of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly and senior AIADMK leader passed away recently. P H Pandian was a former MLA and MP. He was also the Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly between 1980-84 and the Speaker from 1985 to 1989. He was also a senior leader of the AIADMK.
8. It is believed that fifty percent Koalas have been killed in Australia’s Wildfires. Koala is an arboreal herbivorous marsupial native to Australia. The forests of Australia have been burning for the last four months and about 50 crore wild animals have been killed.
9. Human Space Flight Infrastructure Centre will be established by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) in Challakere, Karnataka. This training center will be constructed in 400 acres at a cost of Rs 2700 crore.
10. India’s P. Mangesh Chandran has won the prestigious 95th Hastings International Chess Congress title in Hastings, England. He defeated India’s Grandmaster Deep Sengupta in the eighth round.