- On June 6, 2019, American multinational technology company, Google’s India-born CEO Sundar Pichai (46) and NASDAQ‘s (National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations) President Adena Friedman (50) were chosen for the prestigious Global Leadership Awards 2019. They were chosen by business advocacy group US-India Business Council (USIBC) for “catalyzing growth in the US-India commercial corridor”.
- On June 6, 2019, according to the report on achievements of environment management of Indian Railways, “Environmental Sustainability Annual Report 2018-19”, stated that best-performing Production Unit in the field of the environment was awarded to Rail Wheel Factory, Yelahanka, Karnataka. Ministry of Railway observed World Environment Day on June 6.
- Thailand Parliament elected Prayuth Chan-Ocha of Palang Pracharat party as Prime Minister for a second term. He defeated Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of Future Forward party by a margin of 500 to 244 votes. His appointment will be announced official when crowned King Maha Vajiralongkorn of Thailand endorses it. Prayuth Chan-Ocha was chief of staff of the Royal Thai Army from 2008 to 2009 and in 2009 he was appointed honorary adjutant to the king. In 2010, he succeeded Anupong Paochinda as commander in chief and also headed the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).
- N Gopalaswami, former Chief Election Commissioner has been appointed as an electoral officer to supervise the BCCI’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) election that is to be held on October 22. Committee of Administrators (CoA), which was appointed by the Supreme Court, met at the BCCI headquarters to discuss the road map for the elections. The members of the Committee of Administrators (CoA) nominated by Supreme Court on 30 January 2017 to look after the administration of the BCCI in order to implement Lodha Committee reforms are Vinod Rai, Ramachandra Guha, Vikram Limaye and Diana Edulji.
- Asian Football Confederation (AFC), confirmed that China will host the 2023 Asia Cup. This will be the second time China is hosting the quadrennial continental tournament, after the 2004 edition. Earlier Korea was competing with China for hosting rights but it took back to concentrate on securing the hosting rights for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup. China ranked 74th in the FIFA’s rankings and once qualified for the World Cup in 2002.
- Indian professional footballer Sunil Chhetri has been named most capped football player. He surpassed the former Indian captain Bhaichung Bhutia’s 107 international matches. He has played today his 108 matches for India. He has scored the 69th goal for his side in King’s Cup football tournament in Buriram, Thailand. He made his international debut in 2005 and scored his first goal against Pakistan. He is popularly known as Captain Fantastic, having scored the 2nd highest number of goals in international matches among active players after Cristiano Ronaldo. He currently plays club football for Bengaluru FC in the Indian Super League.
- Laldingliana Sailo (76), the former Doordarshan and All India Radio (AIR) news editor, has passed away in Aizawl at the age of 76. He hails from Aizawl. He is a senior Indian Information Service (IIS) officer. He was first inducted as a Field Publicity Officer under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in the year 1972 and then first posted in Arunachal Pradesh Tawang. At the time of retirement, he was a Director in the Directorate of Field Publicity for Kohima Region.
09th June 2019 Current Affairs PDF: Download
09th June 2019 Current Affairs Quiz: Click Here