1. A massive fire erupted at a leaking natural-gas oil well in Assam’s Tinsukia district on June 8, 2020. The oil well, part of Baghjan oil fields, is owned by Oil India Limited (OIL). The oil well has reportedly been leaking gas since the last 14 days after it suffered damage following a blowout on May 27.
2. Indian weightlifter K Sanjita Chanu has been cleared of doping charge by the International Weightlifting Federation due to “non-conformities” in the handling of her sample. The IWF took the decision based on the recommendation of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
3. Ramon Magsaysay awards, known as Asia’s version of the Nobel Prize, have been cancelled this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Manila-based foundation issued a statement on June 9, 2020 saying that it has no choice but to cancel the 2020 awards with COVID-19 almost immobilizing the world.
4. The Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani announced on June 10, 2020 that the Phase-2 of the Saurashtra-Narmada Avataran Irrigation (SAUNI) Yojana will be completed before August 15. The SAUNI Yojana aims to fill 115 water reservoirs of arid Saurashtra and Kutch region with water from the Narmada river, to meet the region’s drinking and irrigation requirements.
5. The Supreme Court on June 9, 2020 directed the centre and state governments to identify and transport stranded migrant workers back to their home towns within 15 days. The court also directed the Indian Railways to provide the required Shramik trains within 24 hours.
6. The Global Economy is predicted to shrink by 5.2 percent in 2020, which is the deepest plunge since the Second World War, according to the forecasts of the World Bank. The severe contraction in the global economy is a result of the massive shutdown measures evoked across the world to contain the coronavirus pandemic.
7. Dr. Jitendra Singh, the Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region launched COVID BEEP on June 7, 2020. It is India’s first cost-effective, indigenous, wireless physiological parameters monitoring system for COVID-19 patients.
8. Saturn’s moon Titan has been moving away faster than previously understood, about 4 inches (11 centimeters) every year, as per data discovered from NASA’s Cassini spacecraft. Earth’s moon has also been drifting away a tiny bit more each year similar to other moons of other planets.