- India has hit out against Turkey for its unilateral military offensive in north-east Syria. India called on Turkey to exercise restraint and respect Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
- Jammu and Kashmir has lifted the travel ban on tourists, after almost two months. A security advisory asking all tourists to leave the valley with immediate effect due to intelligence on terror threats was issued on August 2, 2019.
- The World Mental Day was observed across the world on October 10, 2019 with the theme ‘suicide prevention’. The day’s main aim is to raise awareness regarding mental health issues.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by PM Narendra Modi gave its approval to double the honorarium for ASHA workers to Rs 2000/ month.
- Union Ministry of Human Resource Development recently launched the Pradhan Mantri Innovative Learning Programme – DHRUV to encourage talented children to enrich their skills and knowledge. The Programme was launched from the ISRO Headquarters at Bengaluru. Under the programme, the selected student will be named as Dhruv Tara.
- Olga Tokarczuk has been awarded with the 2018 Nobel Prize in Literature. The Prize was postponed in 2018 for the first time in 70 years amidst the sexual assault scandal when one of the Academy members Katarina Frostenson resigned due to the sexual assault charges against her husband Jean-Claude Arnault.
- Austrian author Peter Handke has been awarded with the 2019 Nobel Prize for Literature. The Nobel Prize in Literature is considered as the most prestigious award in the literary world.
- The State Bank of India (SBI) on October 10, 2019 reduced its lending rates by ten basis points and revised the savings rate by 25 basis points for fixed deposits under Rs 1 lakh.