- In a business-friendly move, the Reserve Bank of India said that Real Time Gross Settlement System (RTGS), used for large value transactions, will be made available round-the-clock from December. In December 2019, the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) system was made available on a 24x7x365 basis.
- Justice KK Usha, the former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court died at the age of 81 in Kochi.
KK Usha was the first woman to be directly elevated to the HC bench from the bar.
- The two-day half-yearly coastal security exercise, Sagar Kavach, along the Kerala and Karnataka coasts ended recently. Conducted by the Navy and the Coast Guard, the exercise had participation by all coastal security stakeholders.
- India successfully test-fired Rudram 1, the tactical anti-radiation missile that the Indian Air Force can launch from its Sukhoi-30MKI fighter jets to take down enemy radars and surveillance systems.
- World Egg Day will be celebrated on second Friday in October every year. World Egg Day 2020 is celebrated on October 9.
- The World Health Organisation recognises World Mental Health Day on 10 October every year for global mental health education, awareness, advocacy against the social stigma that is often attached to it. This year’s theme set by the World Federation for Mental Health is ‘mental health for all’.
- National Postal Week is being celebrated in the country from 9 October to 15 October every year to create awareness about the role and contributions of postal sector in social and economic development as well as in lives of people and business.
- India celebrates October 5 every year as the ‘Ganga River Dolphin Day’ as this day Ganga Dolphins were declared national aquatic animals in 2010. The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) launched Dolphin-based ecotourism programme, including Dolphin safari, at six sites in three states Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal along the country’s national river on the occasion of the ‘Ganga River Dolphin Day’.