1. Central Government has permitted to set up e-Foreigner Tribunal (e-FT) in Assam. It is a quasi-judicial authority which assesses the question of the authenticity of a person’s citizenship. It should be set up by July 31, 2019, when the final list of National Register of Citizens (NRC) is published. The people left out in the final NRC can challenge their exclusion through these tribunals.
2. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of e-Foreigner Tribunal (e-FT) in Assam is Anand Prakash Tiwari. It will help in effective monitoring and resolution of cases registered with Foreigner Tribunal. It will help to strengthen the Judiciary in the disposal of cases and assist the Police organization in faster detection, prosecution, and detention. The main aim of the project is to maintain a statewide biometric and biographic data in order to capture the illegal migrants’ data to computerize data flow for all the stakeholders. Along with this, it will also help in the legalization of eligible beneficiaries for welfare schemes.
3. The two-day event of Maritime Information Sharing Workshop 2019(MISW 2019) hosted by the Indian Navy under the aegis of the Information Fusion Centre-Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR)held in Gurugram, Haryana on June 12, 2019. The workshop was inaugurated by Vice Admiral MS Pawar, Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff. It saw the participation of more than 41 delegates from 29 countries of the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) and beyond.
4. On June 14, 2019, Directorate General of Training (DGT), under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) joined hands with Cisco and Accenture, private sector companies, to skill the youth for the digital economy through Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs). The implementation partner is Quest Alliance. The program consists of the tailor-made curriculum with modules for digital literacy, career readiness, employability skills and advanced technology skills such as data analytics, and a blended learning model enabled by a combination of online self-learning via the Bharat Skills portal and in-classroom modules.
5. According to the report on internet trends released by the venture capitalist, Mary Meeker stated that China leads the chart with 21% of global internet users while U.S (United States) placed third with 8%. Now the total internet users (3.88 billion) are more than half the world’s population.
6. According to the report on internet trends released by the venture capitalist, Mary Meeker stated that India ranks second by witnessing 12% world internet users (close to 455 million). The growth in internet users in India was mainly driven by low price data plans introduced by Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd and cheaper smartphones.
7. On June 10, 2019, The Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced to ban single-use plastics from 2021. The products which are expected to be banned are cotton swabs, cutlery, plates, straws, bags and drink stirrers. The goal of the government is “Zero plastic waste (from) coast to coast”. This is done to reduce ocean waste. The estimated figures show that one million birds and over 100,000 marine mammals die or get injured when they get caught in plastic or ingest it. The decision was made following the establishment of an Ocean Plastics Charter at the G7 conference 2018.
8. The central bank of the country, the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) data revealed that 53,334 fraud cases worth Rs. 2.05 lakh crore hit the banks in India in the last 11 fiscal years i.e., between 2008-09 and 2018-19. The highest numbers of cases were reported in ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) Bank, State Bank of India (SBI) and HDFC (Housing Development Finance Corporation) Bank.
9. On June 14, 2019, The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) asked the banks to grout Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) to a wall, pillar, or floor by September 30, 2019, in order to mitigate risks in ATM operations and increase security. Exceptions were given to the ATMs installed in high secured premises such as airports as they have adequate CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) coverage and are guarded by state/central security personnel. The measure was adopted by the RBI after the recommendations made by the Committee on Currency Movement (CCM) which was formed in 2016. ii. All the ATMs will be operated for cash replenishment only with digital One Time Combination (OTC) locks.
10. On June 4, 2019, The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) hiked the Third Party (TP) motor insurance premium for small and medium private cars by 12-12.5% for 2019-20. The rates are applicable from June 16, 2019. TP premium for two-wheelers and heavy vehicles was also increased. These powers which are provided to IRDAI are mentioned under Section 14 (2) (i) of the IRDA Act, 1999. Two-wheelers with engine capacities between 150cc and 350cc witnessed the highest percentage increase at 21.11%. Rates were increased from Rs 985 to Rs 1,193. For two-wheelers between 75 cc and 150cc, it hiked TP rate by 4.44% to Rs 752.
11. FundzBazar, an online mutual fund investment platform launched by Prudent, launched ‘Selfiewala KYC’ feature for the first-time mutual fund investors. Through this platform, investors can complete their KYC (Know your Customer) process from their home or office using mobile or laptop in just a few minutes. This feature allows the investors to carry out the IPV (In-Person Verification) by uploading a video and a selfie which in turn speeds up the KYC process and saves time.
12. On June 12, 2019, the Bank of Baroda (BoB) and ECL Finance, the flagship non-banking financial company of Edelweiss Group, signed an agreement to form a strategic partnership to explore co-lending opportunities. They will offer loans and expertise for the growing needs of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME), self-employed and priority sector groups. They will provide timely delivery of credit to customers at a significantly lower cost.
13. The World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is being observed across the globe on 15 June every year. The theme of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2019 is “Lifting Up Voices”. The purpose of this day is to provide awareness of the cultural, social, economic, and demographic processes affecting elder abuse and neglect. This day was officially recognized by the United Nations General Assembly in December 2011.
15th June 2019 Current Affairs Quiz: Click Here
15th June 2019 Current Affairs PDF: Download