1. The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate, Harivansh Narayan Singh has been re-elected as Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman by a voice vote on September 14, 2020. He defeated the joint opposition candidate Manoj Jha of Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD).
2. India has been elected as a member of the United Nation’s Commission on Status of Women, a body of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). India will remain a member of the prestigious body for four years from 2021 to 2025.
3. Scientists revealed on September 14, 2020 that they have detected potential signs of extra terrestrial life on the inhospitable Venus. The scientists have detected a gas called phosphine in the acidic clouds of Venus that indicates microbes may inhabit Earth’s neighbor.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated and laid the foundation stones for seven urban infrastructure projects in Bihar through video conferencing. Bihar CM Nitish Kumar was also present on the occasion.
5. Dream11 IPL 2020, the much-awaited 13th edition of the Indian Premier League will kick start from September 19, 2020 in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The opening match will be played between the Mumbai Indians (MI) Vs Chennai Super Kings (CSK) on September 19th in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
6. The Union Government on September 14, 2020 banned the export of onions with immediate effect. The order bans export of all varieties of onions except cut, sliced onions or onions broken in powder form.
7. The Asian Development Bank announced on September 15, 2020, that India’s economy is expected to contract by 9% in 2020-worse than the 4% contraction which the bank had forecasted three months ago.
8. The last date for submission of online nominations and recommendations for the Padma Awards is today, September 15, 2020. The awards will be announced on the occasion of Republic Day, on January 26, 2021.