- Russia on October 14, 2020 announced that it has granted regulatory approval to its second COVID-19 vaccine, EpiVacCorona. The vaccine approval comes after Russia approved the world’s first COVID-19 vaccine-Sputnik V.
- The World Bank President, David Malpass informed on October 14, 2020 that the bank has called in for an emergency financing of 25 million dollars. The amount is to help the poorest countries in facing massive challenges caused due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- World Food Day was observed on October 16, 2020. The day marks the foundation of the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations in 1945. It was observed for the first time in 1979 as a Day for action against hunger.
- India will soon be transferring one of its kilo-class submarines, INS Sindhuvir to the Myanmar Navy. This will be a significant move, as it will be the first submarine of the Myanmar Navy.
- Bhanu Athaiya, India’s first Oscar-winning costume designer passed away on October 15, 2020 at the age of 91. She passed away peacefully in her sleep after a prolonged illness. The renowned designer had won an Academy Award for best costume design for the 1983 classic movie ‘Gandhi’.
- Air Force Command Hospital of Bengaluru was adjudged the Best Command Hospital for the year 2019. Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh awarded the Raksha Mantri Trophy to the top Command Hospitals of the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) for the year 2019 on October 16, 2020. Air Force Command Hospital in Bengaluru was adjudged the Best Command Hospital for the year 2019, Command Hospital of the Eastern Command in Kolkata won the award for Second Best Command Hospital for the year 2019.
- Global Hand washing Day was observed on October 15, 2020. The Global Hand washing Day was observed on October 15, 2020. The day is observed each year to raise awareness and highlight the importance of hand washing as an effective means of disease prevention.
- India aims to Trans Fat free by 2022. Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan announced recently that the government aims to make India Trans Fat free by 2022, a year ahead of the target set by the World Health Organization.
9. PM greets NSG personnel on their Raising Day 16th October 2020.
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has greeted NSG Black Cats personnel and their families on NSG’s Raising Day. “On their Raising Day, greetings to NSG Black Cats personnel and their families. NSG plays a crucial role in India’s security apparatus. It has been associated with utmost courage and professionalism. India is proud of NSG’s efforts to keep India safe and secure”, the Prime Minister said.