1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi the launch of Project Lion and Project Dolphin during his Independence Day speech on August 16, 2020. The two projects have been launched for the conservation of the two endangered species in the country using modern technology.
2. ISRO has named a crater on the Moon, captured by Chandrayaan-2, after Indian astrophysicist Vikram Sarabhai on the occasion his birth centenary on August 12, 2020.
3. Corona warriors will be the first ones to get the COVID-19 vaccine after its launch. This was shared by Minister of State for Health Ashwini Kumar Choubey. Corona warriors are all the doctors, paramedics, policemen, sanitation workers and others involved in different duties at the risk of their lives to help India win its battle against COVID-19.
4. Google warned Australians on August 17, 2020 that the Australian government’s plans to make digital companies pay for news content will threatens users’ access to free search services in Australia. The tech giant warned that it could also hand over users’ data to media organizations.
5. Malaysia has detected a strain of new Coronavirus which is ten times more infectious. The mutation has been found in at least three of the 45 cases in a cluster.
6. The Bihar government on August 17, 2020 decided to extend the lockdown restrictions in the state till September 6 due to a spike in coronavirus cases.
7. Former Indian Prime Minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s second death anniversary was observed on August 16, 2020. President Ram Nath Kovind remembered the late leader as a “widely accepted” leader who had admirers across the political spectrum.
8. World Humanitarian Day is observed on August 19, 2020. On the day, the world commemorates humanitarian workers killed and injured in the course of their work.