1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with Chief Ministers of 15 remaining states and union territories on June 17, 2020. During the interaction, he said that the number of patients recovered from COVID-19 is more than the number of active coronavirus cases in the country.
2. The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) will elect five new non-permanent members to the council on June 17, 2020. France took over the Presidency of the powerful 15-member Security Council for the month of June. India is expected to be elected to the council unopposed.
3. The Maharashtra government has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) worth Rs 16000 crore with 12 international firms including three Chinese companies. The investment from the three Chinese firms alone amounts to Rs 5000 crore.
4. The Telangana government has promulgated an ordinance to make special provision for deferment of payments to any person, employees and pensioners in the event of disaster and public health emergency.
5. The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) approved USD 750 million worth loan to India on June 17, 2020. The fund granted will be used by the Indian government to strengthen battle against the impact of COVID-19 on the poor and vulnerable.
6. A petition was filed in the Delhi High Court on June 16, 2020 seeking directions to the central government to follow the reservation procedure of 27 percent reservation of seats for the OBC category in medical and dental colleges for the academic year 2020.
7. Popular American TV host Jimmy Kimmel will host the 2020 Emmy Awards. The awards are set to take place on September 20. It is yet unclear whether it will be virtual or live in-person amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
8. The government of Myanmar has set up a tribunal to probe the construction of a mega city project being undertaken with the support of China in the Karen state, around 15 km north of Myawaddy.