1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s interaction programme ‘Pariksha Pe Charcha-2020 will be held at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi on January 20, 2020. The event is expected to witness participation from over 2000 students, teachers and parents from across the nation.
2. The central government, Assam state government and the World Bank signed a USD 88 million loan agreement on January 16, 2020 to improve Assam’s passenger ferry infrastructure and services.
3. Harish Salve has been appointed as the Queen’s Counsel for the courts of England and Wales. He was India’s lead counsel in the Kulbhushan Jadhav extradition case at the International Court of Justice.
4. The Prime Minister of Ukraine, Oleksiy Honcharuk resigned from his position on January 17, 2020, after less than six months in office. The 35-year-old is Ukraine’s youngest-ever head of government.
5. The Union Home Affairs Minister Amit Shah on January 16, 2020 presided over the signing of a historic agreement between the central government, Tripura and Mizoram and the Bru-Reang representatives, ending the 23-year old Bru-Reang refugee crisis. In 1997, around 30,000 Bru-Reang tribals were forced to flee Mizoram due to ethnic tension and seek shelter in Tripura.
6. According to the Henley Passport Index, Japan’s passport is the most powerful passport in the world. Indian passport secured 84th position in the list. In 2019, India’s ranking was 82.
7. The People’s Congress of Tibet recently passed a law that makes ethnic unity in the region mandatory. The law highlights that Tibet is unchallengeable part of China since ancient times.
8. The Union Health Ministry on January 17, 2020 issued a travel advisory to passengers traveling to and from China due to the outbreak of Novel Coronavirus. There are reports of 41 confirmed cases of the virus in China, which includes one death in Wuhan, China.