- The Union Minister of Commerce & Industry, Piyush Goyal will launch the Global Innovation Index (GII) on July 24, 2019 in the presence of Francis Gurry, Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organisation.
2. Vivek Kumar was appointed as the Private Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Vivek is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 2004 batch. He is currently serving as the Director of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
3. Sri Lanka recently signed USD 91.26 million agreement with India to upgrade Railway tracks connecting the North and South. It would be the first time in 100 years that Sri Lanka would be upgrading this 130 km-long railway line.
4. The 10th Jagran Film Festival was inaugurated at Siri Fort Auditorium, New Delhi. The event was inaugurated by Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting, Prakash Javadekar. The Festival is an initiative of the Jagran Prakashan Group.
5. Union Ministry of Human Resource Development recently released the ‘Deeksharambh’, a guide prepared by the University Grants Commission for its Student Induction Programme.
6. Sachin Tendulkar has become sixth Indian cricketer to be included in the ICC Hall of Fame. The ICC selected India’s Sachin Tendulkar, South Africa’s Allan Donald and Australia’s Cathryn Fitzpatrick for the hall of fame honour at a ceremony in London on July 18, 2019.
7. Google commemorated the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 space mission, the world’s first moon landing with an interesting doodle. Apollo 11 carried astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin to the Moon’s surface for the first time in history on July 20, 1969.
8. The Protection of Human Rights(Amendment) Bill 2019 was passed by voice vote in Lok Sabha on July 19.