1. Moti Bagh, a documentary based on the life of an Uttarakhand farmer Vidyadutt has been nominated for the Oscars. The documentary film has been directed by Nirmal Chander. The film shows how the 83-year-old struggles to keep his farm alive and till the uninhabited hilly lands.
2. The Supreme Court has set the deadline for the conclusion of hearings in the Ram janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute as October 18. The constitution bench hearing the Ayodhya dispute is headed by CJI Ranjan Gogoi, who is set to retire on November 17, 2019 so the verdict has to be delivered before then or the case will be heard afresh with a new judge in place of Justice Gogoi.
3. ISRO has signed an agreement with DRDO to develop human-centric systems for the Human Space Mission to demonstrate India’s human space flight capabilities. DRDO will be providing critical technologies to ISRO such as space crew health monitoring and emergency survival kit, space food and parachutes for the crew module’s safe recovery.
4. Forty US lawmakers have urged US President Donald Trump to reinstate India’s preferential trade treatment under GSP programme. The lawmakers stated that the withdrawal of India’s preferential trade status has resulted in retaliatory tariffs from India, which are hurting the US industry.
5. Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa recently announced that Hyderabad-Karnataka Region has been renamed as Kalyana Karnataka Region that comprises six districts of Karnataka: Koppal, Ballari, Bidar, Kalaburagi, Yadgir and Raichur.
6. Vinesh Phogat recently became the first Indian wrestler to qualify for 2020 Tokyo Olympics after defeating world number one Sarah Ann Hildebrandt in the ongoing World Wrestling Championship in Kazakhstan.
7. Anjali Singh has become India’s first woman officer to be posted as military diplomat “Deputy Naval Attache” at Moscow in Russia.
8. Scientists have recently found two new species of ginger in Nagaland. These two new species are – Zingiber perenense and Zingiber dimapurense. A detailed report about both discoveries was published in a journal.
9. The Soloman Islands has decided to end its diplomatic relations with Taiwan. Now, only 16 countries are maintaining their diplomatic relations with Taiwan.
10. Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has announced to credit 8.65% of interest to more than 6 crore subscribers for the period of 2018-19. As per the announcement by Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar, the money will be credited to the bank account of the EPFO subscribers.