1. India has been ranked first in the number of organic farmers and ninth in terms of area under organic farming. Sikkim has become the first state in the world to become fully organic. Other states including Uttarakhand and Tripura have also set similar sustainability targets.
2. Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on August 20, 2020, launched the ‘Indira Rasoi Yojana’ in order to provide quality nutritious food to poor people at just Rs. 8. The newly launched scheme will be rolled out in 213 urban local bodies of the state which will include 10 locations each in the state capital’s c greater and heritage area.
3. Late Rajiv Gandhi’s birth anniversary was observed on August 20, 2020. He was born on August 20, 1944. Rajiv Gandhi had become the youngest Prime Minister of India when he had assumed office in October 1984. He had served as the Prime Minister of India till December 2, 1989. He was assassinated in May 1991 by an LTTE suicide bomber during an election rally in Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu.
4. US Senator Kamala Harris has become the first Indian American to accept nomination for the US Vice Presidential candidate for Democratic Party. During her acceptance speech, she said that she was honoured to accept the nomination for Vice President of the United States. She spoke about her own story of how growing up has shaped her.
5. The Swachh Survekshan 2020 results were announced on August 20, 2020 and Indore retained its top spot for the fourth consecutive time. Indore was adjudged as the cleanest Indian city, followed by Surat on the second spot and Navi Mumbai on the third position.
6. The ancient holy town of Varanasi was named as India’s cleanest town on the banks of river Ganga in Swachh Bharat Survekshan 2020. The town is popularly regarded as the spiritual capital of India.
7. The Ministry of Home Affairs on August 19, 2020 ordered pull out of 10,000 security personnel from Jammu and Kashmir after 1 year. The security troops were brought into the region last year before centre took its decision of withdrawing the special status of the former state.
8. India, Australia, and Japan have started the discussions for the launch of a trilateral Supply Chain Resilience Initiative (SCRI) in order to reduce the dependency on China. The initiative which was first proposed by Japan might be executed.