1. Domestic flights will resume operations from May 25, 2020 in a calibrated manner. This was announced by Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri on May 20, 2020.
2. The Railway Minister, Piyush Goyal announced that the Indian Railways will run around 200 non-AC trains daily from June 1, 2020. The online booking for the same will begin soon. The trains will be in addition to the Shramik Special Trains.
3. Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan will be appointed as the Chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board on May 22, 2020. Harsh Vardhan is expected to succeed Japan’s Dr. Hiroki Nakatani, who is the current Chairman of the 34-member board.
4. The Jammu and Kashmir administration issued a notification on May 18, 2020 defining the rules for the issuance of domicile certificates in the Union territory. The ‘J&K Grant of Domicile Certificate (Procedure) Rules 2020’ include a penalty clause, as per which the appellate authority can recover Rs 50,000 from the salary of the competent authority if there is any delay in issuing of the certificates beyond the specified time of 7 days.
5. Mee Annapurna, an inclusive programe has been launched for the welfare of farmers and Bhoomiputras in Maharashtra. The initiative was announced by Integrated Risk Insurance, an IRDA Licensed insurance intermediary.
6. India on May 19, 2020 provided 2 million USD relief aid to the UNRWA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency) to help in the welfare of Palestine refugees. The fund is to be used in core programmes including education and health for the refugees.
7. The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has released Rs. 20,500 crore to regional rural banks and co-operative banks for lending to the farmers. The amount is a part of the Rs. 25,000 crore, which was a refinance facility provided by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to NABARD.
8. Nepal’s new political map shows Kalapani, Lipulekh, and Limpiyadhura under Nepal’s territory. The new map was approved by Nepal’s Cabinet recently. The endorsement comes amid Nepal’s border dispute with India.