1. Karnataka government has launched “Apthamitra” helpline and App to fight COVID-19. The helpline number “14410” will cover residents in all parts of the state. The helpline will function from 8 am to 8 pm. The helpline centres will be set up at six locations in Mysore, Bengaluru and Mangalore.
2. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps confirmed on April 22, 2020 that Iran has successfully launched its first-ever military satellite into the orbit. The satellite launch comes amid heightened tensions with the United States over Iran’s nuclear programme.
3. Gujarat has launched the third phase of its ‘Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan’ among COVID-19 lockdown. The scheme will continue till June 10, 2020. The scheme was first launched in 2018 by Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani to create water-grid, on the lines of power-grid, for reuse of the treated waste water from urban areas.
4. The Pune Municipal Corporation launched “Saiyam” mobile application on April 22, 2020. The application has been developed to monitor citizens on home quarantine.
5. The G-20 Extraordinary Agriculture Ministers Meeting was held on April 21, 2020 to address the impact of COVID-19 on nutrition, food security and safety. Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar represented India at the virtual meeting.
6. The University of Oxford in the United Kingdom has developed a potential coronavirus vaccine. The first human trials of the potential vaccine will begin from April 23, 2020.
7. The Union Cabinet has approved an ordinance proposing new amendments to the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1987 to end violence against health workers. The new amendments include imprisonment ranging from 6 months to 7 years for those found guilty of attacking healthcare workers.
8. The Earth Day 2020 was observed on April 22, 2020 with the theme ‘Climate Action’. The day was first proposed in 1969 to spread awareness regarding the deteriorating environmental conditions due to rising pollution and oil spills.