1. The popular Indian actress, Deepika Padukone was awarded the Crystal Award 2020 during the opening session of the World Economic Forum on January 21, 2020. She was honoured with the award for her leadership in raising awareness about mental health illness.
2. Greece has elected Katerini Sakellaropoulou as the first woman president in the country’s history. The 63-year-old was elected to the top post in a historic parliamentary vote on January 22, 2020, which saw 261 of the total 294 MPs vote in favour of her.
3. The 50th World Economic Forum (WEF) will be held in Davos, Switzerland from January 21-24, 2020. The forum will see the participation from over 50 heads of state from 117 nations across the world.
4. Vyommitra is the first human robot to be developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation. ISRO plans to send the half-humanoid to space in its first unmanned mission under Gaganyaan programme. The human robot can simulate most of the human body functions.
5. ISRO has identified four astronauts for its upcoming Gaganyaan mission. The training of the astronauts is scheduled to begin in the third week of January in Russia. Gaganyaan will be a crewed orbital spacecraft, which will take the astronauts to space for a minimum of seven days by 2022. The mission is a part of the Indian Human Spaceflight Programme.
6. Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina launched e-passport facility for all citizens of the nation in Dhaka on January 22, 2020. The e-passports will have an embedded chip in them that will contain all the required bio-metric data of the passport holder including photograph and other information that is there on the regular passport. The facility will also have digital security features.
7. Chinese government has reported a sharp rise in the number of people infected with the mysterious Coronavirus. Government of India has also issued an advisory to the major airports of India to avoid any risk of Corona virus.
8. Hyderabad was recently selected as the world’s most dynamic city. Hyderabad topped the list among 129 cities across the world. However, Bangalore ranked 2nd and while Delhi got 6th position.
9. The Ministry of Law and Justice recently declared United Arab Emirates (UAE) to be a “reciprocating territory”. It allows the law on the subject of execution of decrees of Courts in India by foreign Courts and vice versa.
10. The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development recently released the World Investment Trends Monitor-2019 report. The report describes that India ranked among the top-10 recipients of FDI in 2019. India’s FDI during this period was USD 49 billion.