1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced Rs 2 lakh as compensation to the next of kin of those who have lost their lives during his visit to West Bengal to assess the damage caused by Cyclone Amphan.
2. Former world no. 1 and four-time Grand Slam singles champion, Ashley Cooper passed away recently at the age of 83 after a prolonged illness. Cooper had won three of the four majors -the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US championships in 1958. His only loss in the Grand Slams that year was in the semifinals at the French Open.
3. Karnataka has allowed inter-state travel amid the fourth phase of nationwide COVID-19 lockdown. Now, the inter-state travel pass will not be required to go out of Karnataka if the individual has the consent of the receiving state.
4. US President Donald Trump announced on May 21, 2020 that he plans to withdraw the United States from Open Skies Treaty with Russia. The 18-year-old treaty was signed to improve military transparency and confidence between the two superpowers.
5. The Treaty of Open Skies was signed on January 1, 2002. The treaty has 35 signatories including Russia, the US, the UK, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. The treaty allows unarmed aerial surveillance flights over the entire territory of the participating countries.
6. The Treaty of Open Skies was signed on January 1, 2002. The treaty has 35 signatories including Russia, the US, the UK, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. Kyrgyzstan is the only nation that has signed the Open Skies Treaty but not ratified it.
7. New York-based private equity firm KKR has decided to invest Rs 11367 crore or USD 1.5 billion in Jio Platforms for a stake of 2.32%. The deal will be finalised after it gets all the regulatory and customary approvals. This is fifth such investment in Reliance Jio followed by Facebook, Silver Lake, Vista Equity Partners and General Atlantic.
8. The International Day for Biological Diversity was observed across the world on May 22, 2020. The day’s theme this year is “Our solutions are in nature”. The day is observed to increase awareness and understanding among people regarding biodiversity issues.