1. The 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championship concluded in Doha, Qatar on April 24, 2019. India with 17 medals (3 Gold, 7 silver and 7 bronze) finished fourth in the tournament. The four-day event saw participation from 63 nations across the world. Bahrain topped the tally with 11 gold, 7 silver, and 4 bronze, followed by China with 10 gold, 13 silver, 7 bronze and then Japan with 5 gold, 4 silver, 9 bronze.
2. In a first, the Indian Army on April 25, 2019, began online registration of women for recruitment as soldiers into the military police. The recruitment for ‘Soldier General Duty (Women Military Police)’ was mooted by the Army Chief General Bipin Rawat soon after he took over the post. The approval for the creation of the post came recently by the Defence Ministry.
3. India recently stressed upon Africa’s right to representation among the ranks of the permanent members of the UN Security Council. The move aims to bring in a sense of urgency to the long-stalled reform process of the UNSC.
4. The Reserve Bank of India has sold its entire stake in the National Housing Bank (NHB) and the National Bank for Agriculture & Rural Development (Nabard) to the Union Government for Rs 1,450 crore and Rs 20 crore, respectively. The move would now make these organizations fully government-owned.
5. Malawi launched the world’s first malaria vaccine in a landmark pilot programme. The country is the first of three in Africa in which the vaccine, known as RTS,S, will be made available to children up to 2 years of age; Ghana and Kenya will introduce the vaccine later.
6. Actor, the producer and screenwriter Salim Khan, who is also the father of superstar Salman Khan, was honored with the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Lifetime Award.
7. Popular scriptwriter Salim Khan, national award-winning filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and one of the finest dancing divas of yesteryears, Helen were honored with the prestigious Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Award at a ceremony in Mumbai on April 24, 2019.
8. The United Nations and the European Union (EU) on April 24, 2019, signed a joint framework aimed at strengthening partnership in counter-terrorism efforts. The framework was enacted on the occasion of the second edition of EU-UN Leader’s Dialogue on Counter-Terrorism that was held in New York.
9. The Madras high court on April 24, 2019, lifted the ban on Chinese short-video app ‘TikTok’, three weeks after it had asked the Government to prohibit further downloads of the popular application on Google and Apple app stores.
10. World Malaria Day is an international observance commemorated every year on 25 April and recognizes global efforts to control malaria. It is one of eight official global public health campaigns currently marked by the World Health Organization (WHO).
25th April 2019 Current Affairs Quiz: Click Here
25th April 2019 Current Affairs PDF: Download