1. The first anniversary of the Balakot air strikes was observed on February 26, 2020. The IAF-led operation mainly targeted the biggest Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) camp in Balakot, which is located in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. The attack was carried out in response to the deadly Pulwama attack on February 14, 2020.
2. The Geo Imaging Satellite- GISAT-1 will be launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation on March 5, 2020. The satellite will enable real-time observation of India at frequent intervals.
3. The Union Government issued a new travel advisory on February 26, 2020, advising Indians to avoid all non-essential travel to three more nations- Iran, Italy and the Republic of Korea.
4. Former President Hosni Mubarak had ruled Egypt for 30 years, from October 1981 till February 2011, when he was forced to step down due to the Arab Spring protests. He passed away at the age of 91 years on February 25, 2020.
5. The swell surge forecast system (SSFS) has been created to forewarn regarding swell surges, which cause major damage to coastal regions in India, especially the western coast. The swell waves are like flash floods, which cause damage to the boats and nets of the fishermen.
6. The shooting and archery events of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022 will be held in Chandigarh. Punjab Sports Minister Rana Gurmeet Singh Sodhi made the announcement during the question hour session in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha on February 25, 2020.
7. The 5th edition of the Indra Dhanush Exercise began on February 24, 2020 between the Indian Air Force and the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom. The main focus of the exercise was “Base Defence and Force Protection”. There were 36 specialized combatants from the Royal Air Force and 42 combatants of the Garud Commando Force.
8. Sri Lanka has formally announced its decision to withdraw from co-sponsoring UNHRC resolution on addressing war crimes and accountability issues.