1. India’s crude steel output declined by 65 percent to 3.13 million tonnes in April 2020, as per a report released by the World Steel Association on May 24, 2020. In comparison, the report stated that India had produced 9.02 million tonnes of steel in April 2019.
2. China, the largest crude steel producer in the world, is the only nation that reported a marginal rise in crude steel output in April 2020. As per the World Steel Association, China produced 85.03 MT steel in April 2020, which is marginally higher than its steel output of 84.87 MT in April 2019.
3. NASA has renamed its next-generation space telescope- Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST), after the space agency’s first chief astronomer Nancy Grace Roman. Nancy Grace Roman is considered as the mother of Hubble Space Telescope, which was launched 30 years ago.
4. The Sri Lankan Government has decided to suspend the proposal for the new international cricket ground, which was supposed to come up near Colombo. The project invited criticism with questions raised on whether it was the right project to invest in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic and the ensuing economic crisis.
5. The Karnataka state government has decided to open temples in the state from June 1, 2020. It will become the first state to do. The standard operating procedures regarding the same will be issued soon.
6. Mizoram has become the first Indian state to accord sports an industry status. The move is aimed at further bolstering sports activities by attracting investment.
7. The Himachal Pradesh government recently allowed district magistrates to take the decision on extending the curfew in their areas, following which the district magistrates of Hamirpur and Solan issued an order extending the curfew imposed in their areas for another month, till June 30, 2020.
8. Four Indian cosmonauts, who have been selected for India’s first manned space mission Gaganyaan, have resumed their training in Russia. The training was put on hold due to the lockdown was announced after the outbreak of COVID-19.