1. India’s Chemicals, Petrochemicals industry was the top exporting sector of the nation for the first time during April 2019 and January 2020 period. India’s chemical exports rose by 7 per cent to Rs 2.68 lakh crore during the period.
2. The King George Medical University in Lucknow has become the first government hospital in the country to successfully launch Plasma Therapy Treatment for COVID-19.
3. Saudi Arabia has now abolished death penalty for crimes committed by minors. The individual will now receive prison sentence of no longer than 10 years in a juvenile detention facility.
4. The World Intellectual Property Day was observed on April 26, 2020 to encourage creativity and innovation. The day was established by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2000. The theme of the day this year is “Innovate for Green Future”.
5. The International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day was observed on April 26, 2020. The day, proclaimed by the United Nations, was first observed in 2016, on the 30th anniversary of Chernobyl nuclear disaster. The day is observed to increase awareness about the risks of nuclear energy.
6. The last week of April is observed as the World Immunization Week every year. The week is observed to increase awareness regarding immunization. This year, the theme of the week is “vaccines for all”.
7. NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope celebrated 30 years of its launch on April 24, 2020. Hubble is one of the longest living Space Telescopes in the world. The Hubble Telescope had first detected the evidence of existence of black holes in the centre of the galaxy.
8. The World Malaria Day was observed on April 25, 2020 with the theme ‘Zero Malaria Starts with me’. The World Malaria Day was established by the World Health Organization at its 60th session in 2007.