1. India has jumped two spots to become the world’s 5th largest economy, overtaking France and the United Kingdom, as per IMF’s October World Economic Outlook. India had previously dropped to the seventh position in 2018 following a major slowdown in economic growth.
2. The United States of America is ranked as the world’s largest economy. The nation has held on to the spot since years. It is following by China and then Japan. India is the fifth largest economy behind Germany.
3. The National Science Day is observed every year on February 28 in India. The day is observed to commemorate CV Raman’s invention of ‘Raman Effect’ on this day in 1928.
4. The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued an order to appoint SN Shrivastava as the next Police Commissioner of Delhi. He is 1985 batch IPS officer.
5. Realme and Xiaomi’s smartphones will now use Indian Space Research Organisation’s GPS technology NavIC. The companies will be the first in the world to use ISRO’s navigation technology.
6. Kerala High Court recently passed an order banning all kinds of protests and strikes within school and college campuses. The court stated students cannot indulge in activities that affect ‘Right to Study’.
7. The Bihar state government has announced a reward up to Rs 10000 for those who help in nabbing corrupt officials. The identity of the person who helps will be kept as a secret. The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
8. South Korea has reported 256 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, taking the total number of coronavirus cases in the nation to 2022, which is the highest outside China. Over 90 percent of the new cases have been reported in Daegu city and the neighbouring North Gyeongsang province.
9. Maharashtra has decided to undertake a genetic study to conserve the native species of cattle and domesticated animals in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra.
10. Indian Coast Guard’s sixth offshore patrol vessel, ‘VAJRA’ was launched on February 27, 2020 to provide a boost to coastal security. The vessel will enhance the operational capabilities of the coast guard in search and rescue operations and maritime patrolling and surveillance.