1. The two Union Territories- Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh will have a common high court, Jammu and Kashmir High Court. Among the old laws, 164 state laws would be repealed and 166 state laws will continue to be applicable and 108 Central Laws would be made applicable for the two Union Territories.
2. India has announced a humanitarian assistance of one million dollar to help people in the Bahamas affected by Hurricane Dorian.
3. US President Donald Trump revealed on September 8, 2019 that he has called off his planned secret meeting with top Taliban leaders after they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier and 11 others.
4. Ram Jethmalani, senior Supreme Court lawyer passed away on September 8, 2019. He was 95. Jethmalani, a criminal lawyer par excellence, fought several high-profile cases such as Indira Gandhi and Rajib Gandhi’s assassination case, the Jessica Lall case, Jayalalitha disproportionate assets case and Arun Jaitely defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal among others.
5. Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Indian Government signed a USD 200 million loan agreement to upgrade rural roads in 34 districts of Maharashtra. The project aims to improve road safety and ensure better connectivity in the rural areas.
6. Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat (ANGAN), an international conference on Energy Efficiency in Building Sector was held in New Delhi on September 9, 2019. The Conference was organised by India’s Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in collaboration with GIZ under the Indo German Technical Cooperation.
7. Indian journalist Ravish Kumar has been honoured with the prestigious 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award. The four other winners of the Award are Ko Swe Win from Myanmar, Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab from the Philippines, Angkhana Neelapaijit from Thailand, and Kim Jong-Ki from South Korea.
8. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has published two books on selected speeches of President of India, Ram Nath Kovind. These books are – Loktantra Ke Swar and The Republican Ethnic. These two books are compilation of 95 speeches delivered by President Kovind during his second year in office.
9. Rafael Nadal won his 19th Grand Slam title by winning the US Open final, defeating Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 to seize his fourth crown in New York. Spain’s star tennis player Rafael Nadal (33) is one behind of Roger Federer’s 20 Grand Slam triumphs.
10. Bianca Andreescu (19) captured the US Open title, defeating 23-time major champion Serena Williams (6-3, 7-5). Earlier this year, she was ranked 152 but after winning US Open she is now ranked 15th.