1. The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sought response from the centre and state government on their standard operating procedures for dealing with sexual harassment cases and similar atrocities against women.
2. The Global Migration Film Festival (GMFF) was organised in Dhaka on December 2, 2019. The day-long festival screened 15 films on the theme of migration and its various aspects.
3. China has suspended visits by US Navy ships and aircraft to Hong Kong after the United States passed a legislation backing pro-democracy protesters last week. China also unveiled sanctions against a number of US human rights groups.
4. The day, December 3, 2019, marks the 35th year of Bhopal gas tragedy. The tragedy is known as one of the worst industrial disasters of the world, as a gas leak from the Union Carbide Plant in Bhopal exposed over 500,000 people to toxic Methyl Isocyanate (MIC) gas and other chemicals.
5. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) marks its 70th year in 2019. The leaders of the bloc met in London on December 3, 2019 to commemorate the alliance’s establishment. The alliance, which has twenty nine members, is the world’s largest military alliance.
6. A Chennai-based engineer Shanmuga Subramanian was the first to sport Vikram Lander’s debris on the lunar surface and he alerted NASA about it. NASA confirmed the same through a tweet on December 2, 2019. The Chandrayaan-2 mission’s Vikram Lander was found to have crashed, about 1 km away from its landing site.
7. The World Disability Day was observed across the world on December 3, 2019. The day is observed annually. It is observed mainly to bring changes in people’s behavior towards the people with disabilities and to make them aware of their rights.
8. Argentinian football star Lionel Messi was honoured with the 2019 Ballon d’Or award. Messi has been awarded the prestigious football honor for the sixth time. Virgil Van Dijk finished second and Cristiano Ronaldo was at the third position.
9. English writer Tony Joseph will be awarded the 12th ‘Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize’ for his book ‘Early Indians: The Story of Our Ancestors and Where We Came From’ published in 2018.
10. The first night test launch of Agni-III, a long-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile failed recently. The test was conducted as a user trial for the Indian Army.