- The Economic Survey has projected 7 percent growth in GDP in 2019-20. The Economic survey was tabled by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in the Parliament on July 4, 2019.
2. As per the Henley Passport Index 2019 Japan and Singapore have the world’s most powerful passports. Both the countries secured top position out of 199 countries, as their passports allow visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to 189 places.
3. India is ranked at the 86th position in the Henley Passport Index 2019 with a mobility score of 58. India shares the position with Mauritiana and Sao Tome and Principe. In 2018, India was ranked at the 79th position.
4. While Australia, India and England have already qualified for world cup semi-finals with 14, 13 and 12 points respectively, the fourth semi-finalist is likely to be New Zealand. Pakistan is virtually knocked out of the World Cup.
5. The West Bengal Assembly passed a bill endorsing hiking of retirement age of Vice-chancellors of State own Universities from 65 years to 70 years replacing an ordinance on the matter.
6. Australia’s government on July 4, 2019 proposed new laws that would prevent extremist Australians from returning home for up to two years, as the country prepares for the repatriation of Islamic State group supporters from the West Asia. Around 230 Australians had flown to Syria and Iraq to fight with extremist groups since 2012.
7. China will provide 2,500 metric tons of rice to Bangladesh for the forcibly displaced Rohingyas from Myanmar. This was part of nine instruments signed between Bangladesh and China on July 4, 2019.
8. The world-famous Jagannath Rath Yatra began at Puri in Odisha on July 4, 2019. Lakhs of people are gathering in Puri to witness Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra and Devi Subhadra riding three giant wooden chariots as they travel to Gundicha temple.
9. The International Monetary Fund Executive board approved a three-year, USD 6 billion loan package for Pakistan to rein in mounting debts and stave off a looming balance of payments crisis, in exchange for tough austerity measures.
10. The South Central Railway (SCR) had commissioned the longest electrified tunnel of 6.6 km between Cherlopalli and Rapuru stations in the state of Andhra Pradesh. The tunnel is part of the recently completed Obulavaripalli-Venkatachalam new railway line.