1. Israel has successfully isolated a key coronavirus antibody at its main biological research laboratory in a breakthrough development. The “monoclonal neutralizing antibody” was developed by the Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR). It can reportedly neutralize the COVID-19 virus inside the carriers’ bodies.
2. Indian American Ashok Michael Pinto has been nominated as the US representative to the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD). Pinto has been nominated as the US Alternate Executive Director of IBRD for two years.
3. The 2021 Commonwealth Youth Games have been postponed to 2023 due to clash of dates with the Tokyo Olympics. The Tokyo Olympics, which were earlier scheduled to be held from July 23 to August 8, 2020, have been postponed to July-August 2021 due to COVID-19 outbreak.
4. Over 135 million people are living under food crisis, as the Global Report on Food Crisis, 2020 that was released in April 2020 by the Global Network against Food Crisis.
5. According to Global Report on Food Crisis, 2020, Yemen was the hardest-hit nation in 2019 with 15.9 million people under food crisis, which is almost 53 percent of its population.
6. The Defence Research and Development Organization has developed Ultra Violet Disinfection Tower ‘UV Blaster’ for chemical free and rapid disinfection. The development is expected to be highly helpful in the high infection prone areas.
7. The Sports Ministry of May 5,2020 invited nominations for this year’s national sports awards through e-mail in the wake of coronavirus pandemic. The last date of filing nominations is June 3. The process of nominations, which usually begins in April, was delayed due to the lockdown.
8. The United States plans to borrow a record USD 2.9 trillion during the April-June quarter to deal with the coronavirus pandemic that has deeply impacted the world’s largest economy.