1. Manoj Sinha was appointed as the new Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir on August 6, 2020 by President Ram Nath Kovind. Sinha will be replacing Girish Chandra Murmu who resigned on August 5, 2020.
2. SEBI Chairman Ajay Tyagi has been given a term extension of 18 months till February 2022, as per an order by the personnel ministry. The decision was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 5, 2020.
3. The Ministry of External Affairs released an official statement on Pakistan’s press statement on construction of the ‘Ram Temple’. The Ministry asked Pakistan to desist from interfering in India’s affairs and refrain from communal incitement.
4. National Handloom will be celebrated on August 7, 020 to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement which was launched on the same date in 1905. The main objective behind celebrating the day is to generate awareness about the Handloom Industry among the public.
5. Tick-borne SFTS virus has re-emerged in China, killing around 7 people and infecting around 60 others. This was reported on August 5, 2020. With the virus infecting several people, it has raised warning of the possibility of its human-to-human transmission.
6. Senior CPI (M) trade union leader and former state Transport Minister Shyamal Chakraborty passed away at a hospital in Kolkata on August 6, 2020 at the age of 76. He had tested positive for Coronavirus.
7. The country’s first Kisan Special Parcel Train or Kisan Rail will start from August 7, 2020. The train will start at 11 AM and it will transport material between Maharashtra’s Devlali and Bihar’s Danapur Railway station.
8. The Indian government has extended the Line of Credit worth of 18 million US dollars to the Maldives government for the expansion of fishing facilities at Maldives Industrial Fisheries Company (MIFCO).