1. The Indian Space Research Organization is planning to send a probe to study the sun early in 2020. The satellite would be in a halo orbit around the L1 (Lagrangian point 1) of the Sun-Earth system so that it has the advantage of continuously viewing the Sun without any occultation or eclipses. The L1 is 1.5 million km from the Earth.
2. The Reserve Bank of India on May 3, 2019, announced that it has imposed penalties on five prepaid payment instrument (PPI) issuers, including Vodafone m-paisa and PhonePe, for violation of regulatory norms.
3. Stevo Pendarovski, supported by the ruling Social Democrats (SDSM), has won the North Macedonian presidency in a run-off vote, conducted on May 5, 2019. The 56-year-old garnered 51.66 percent of the vote, beating nationalist VMRO’s Gordana Siljanovska-Davkova who got 44.73 percent. The remaining 3.61 percent of the votes were void.
4. In the fifth phase of polls in Uttar Pradesh, the polling has begun in 14 parliamentary constituencies including Lucknow, Raibarely, Amethi, Sitapur, Kaushambi, Gonda, Banda, Fatehpur, Faizabad, Mohanlalganj, Kaiserganj, Daurahra, Barabanki, and Behraich. The polling will decide the fate of a total of 182 candidates including key candidates such as Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Smriti Irani, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress President Rahul Gandhi.
5. The United States is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the Middle East in response to a “number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” from Iran, US national security adviser John Bolton announced on May 5, 2019.
6. The voting for the fifth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 was held on May 6, 2019, in 51 constituencies spread over seven states. The polling was held for 14 seats in Uttar Pradesh, 12 in Rajasthan, 7 each in Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal, 5 in Bihar and 4 in Jharkhand. In Jammu and Kashmir, polling was held in Pulwama and Shopian districts of Anantnag and Ladakh constituencies.
7. The Indian Navy on May 6, 2019, launched the fourth Scorpene class Submarine of Project 75 ‘INS Vela’ at the Kanhoji Angre Wet Basin of Mazagon Dock Limited at Mumbai, Maharashtra. The submarine will now undergo rigorous trials and tests in both harbor and sea phases before induction into the Indian Navy.
8. Ratan Tata, the Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons, invested in Ola Electric Mobility (OEM), the electric vehicle business of cab aggregator Ola. However, the details of the investment were not disclosed. Tata is also an early investor in ANI Technologies, Ola’s parent company. He had invested in ANI Technologies in July 2015.
06th May 2019 Current Affairs Quiz: Click Here
06th May 2019 Current Affairs PDF: Download