1. Greta Thunberg has achieved this honor at the youngest age. She was in the news because of her influential and aggressive speeches. She also gave a speech at the United Nations Climate Action Summit this year.
2. Andhra Pradesh has approved enactment of the Andhra Pradesh Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, which is also known as Disha Act. The act provides for harsher punishments to those guilty of heinous crimes against women including the death sentence.
3. The Union Government has decided to sell its entire 100 per cent stake in Air India under the proposed disinvestment process. This was stated by Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri in a written reply in the Lok Sabha on December 12, 2019.
4. Graeme Smith has been appointed as South Africa’s first acting director of cricket. He is the most successful Test captain for South Africa in the history of the game.
5. Rohit Sharma was on December 12, 2019 named as the first-ever India brand ambassador of top Spanish football club Real Madrid. He is the first non-footballer in the history of the league to have become a brand ambassador.
6. This award is given with the help of UN-Habitat located in Britain. This award is given in recognition of innovative, outstanding and revolutionary residential ideas, projects and programs from all over the world.
7. Bougainville has recently split from Papua New Guinea and voted to become a separate country. About 1, 81,067 people voted for its separation from Papua New Guinea.
8. The ‘Cricket World Cup 2019’ was the most searched keyword of the year 2019. As per the report, about 2.6 billion people have watched the Cricket World Cup 2019 worldwide.
9. Abhinandan Varthaman was the most searched personality on Google by the people of India in 2019. While Lata Mangeshkar ranked second this year, Yuvraj Singh was third-most searched personality.
10. The Union Cabinet recently authorizes the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to set up the Infrastructure Investment Trust (InvIT) based on the guidelines of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)