1. As per the order issued by Union Home Ministry, all personnel of the forces, the Border Security Force, Sashastra Seema Bal, Central Reserve Police Force and Indo-Tibetan Border Police will retire at the age of 60, instead of 57 years.
2. Pakistan accused India of waging “fifth-generation warfare” by using water as a weapon on August 19. Pakistan claimed that India failed to inform it about the release of excess water from a dam over River Sutlej, which could cause flooding in the nation.
3. Former Prime Minister of India, late Rajiv Gandhi’s 75th birth anniversary was observed on August 20, 2019. Rajiv Gandhi was born on August 20, 1944 in Mumbai. The Indian National Congress observes the day as ‘Sadbhavna Divas’.
4. The Direct Tax Code (DTC) task force has recommended a major cut in the corporate tax for both domestic and foreign companies. The panel has proposed reducing the tax from earlier 30 percent for large companies and 40 percent for foreign companies to an even rate of 25 percent for both domestic and foreign companies.
5. Iceland unveiled a plaque to its Okjokull ice sheet, the first of the country’s hundreds of glaciers to melt away due to climate change. Scientists see the shrinking of glaciers as one of many warning signs that the earth’s climate is lurching toward dangerous tipping points.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be travelling to the UAE and Bahrain from 23-25th August. During the visit, PM Modi will receive the ‘Order of Zayed’, the highest civil decoration of the UAE, which was conferred to him in April 2019.
7. Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh got elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan after the opposition BJP failed to field a candidate against him. The bypoll was necessitated by the death of BJP parliamentarian Madan Lal Saini.
8. Veteran music director of India Mohammed Zahur Khayyam, known as Khayyam, passed away on August 19, 2019. He was 92. Khayyam was best known for his music in movies like Kabhi Kabhi and Umrao Jaan. Mohammed Zahur Khayyam was honoured with the National Film Award for his work in Umrao Jaan.
9. Russia said on August 20, 2019 that the United States was escalating military tensions by testing a medium-range cruise missile weeks after tearing up a pact with Russia. The tested missile was not nuclear equipped.
10. The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the plea of Facebook for transfer of cases related to demands for linking of user-profiles with Aadhaar that are pending before the Madras High Court, Bombay HC and Madhya Pradesh HC to the apex court.