1. The 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championship began in Doha, Qatar on April 21, 2019. The four-day event will see participation from 63 nations across the world. India bagged five medals on Day 1 of the Championship, which included two silvers. With the five medals, India was ranked 5th in the medals tally. Bahrain leads the table with 7 medals, followed by China that has 5 medals, Iran with 2 medals and Philippines with 1 medal.
2. Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena would be declaring a nationwide emergency from the midnight on April 22, 2019, following the suicide bomb blasts at churches and luxury hotels on Easter Sunday that killed 290 people and wounded more than 500, his office said.
3. The United States is expected to announce on April 22, 2019, that all importers of Iranian oil will have to end their imports shortly or be subject to US sanctions. As per reports, the administration will terminate the sanction waivers that it had granted to some importers of Iranian oil late last year.
4. The UAE Cabinet has adopted the National Artificial Intelligence Strategy 2031. The strategy includes eight strategic objectives, a number of initiatives, along with a number of initiatives aimed at employing artificial intelligence in vital areas such as education, government services, and the community wellbeing.
5. Ukrainian comedian Volodymyr Zelensky has scored a landslide victory in the country’s presidential election. With nearly all ballots counted in the run-off vote, Zelensky had taken more than 73 percent with incumbent Petro Poroshenko trailing far behind on 24 percent.
6. Several events and campaigns held worldwide on the occasion of Earth Day 2019 to support and protect the environment of the earth. This year’s theme is – Protect Our Species. The theme lays emphasis on the protection of the planet and the preservation of its environment.
7. The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has released the worldwide Index of Cancer Preparedness 2019 (ICP). In the overall ranking, India comes at 19th with a score of 64.9. In Cancer policy and planning, India ranks 17th, however, it scored 80.8 numbers for this rank.
8. NASA astronaut Christina Koch is going to have her mission on the International Space Station (ISS) extended to 328 days. She would set a record for the longest single spaceflight by a woman. With this, she will eclipse the record of 288 days set by former NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson in 2016-17
9. Every year on 21 April, India observes Civil Services Day. On this day, civil servants re-dedicate themselves to work and live for the cause of citizens. It was on this day that Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel addressed the first batch of civil servants in Independent India at Metcalf House where he referred to civil servants as the ‘steel frame of India’.
10. Saudi Arabia will host the annual G20 leaders’ summit on November 21-22, 2020 in Riyadh. The G20 is made up of 19 of the world’s biggest economies and the European Union. The group was formed in 1999 to discuss policy matters and financial stability.
22nd April 2019 Current Affairs Quiz: Click Here
22nd April 2019 Current Affairs PDF: Download