1. Former finance minister and Congress leader P Chidambaram was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). P Chidambaram is accused of facilitating foreign investment into a television company, INX Media, in 2007, when he was the Finance Minister.
2. Amazon rainforest, the world’s largest rain forest, which provides almost 20 percent of the earth’s oxygen, has been burning for over 16 days resulting in a major loss of trees and biodiversity.
3. Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal launched NISHTHA, the National Initiative for School Heads and Teachers Holistic Advancement at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi on August 21, 2019. The programme has been launched to improve learning outcomes at the elementary level in schools.
4. Karnataka has topped the SARAL index, which evaluates the Indian states on the basis of their attractiveness for rooftop development. Other states Telangana, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh were ranked 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively.
5. The Modi government appointed outgoing Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba as Cabinet Secretary for two years. A 1982 batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre, Mr. Gauba will replace P.K. Sinha, who was appointed Cabinet Secretary in 2015.
6. In a first, the Kerala government decided to appoint women drivers in government and other public sector offices. The decision was taken during a state cabinet meeting headed by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
7. The Allahabad High Court has banned DJs across the state and if someone is found guilty, they can be sentenced up to five years and may have to pay a hefty fine of Rs. 1 lakh. The decision was given by Justice PKS Baghel and Justice Pankaj Bhatia of Allahabad High Court.
8. Ajay Kumar Bhalla was appointed as the new Home Secretary on August 22, 2019. Bhalla belongs to 1984 batch of Assam Meghalaya cadre of Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and is currently serving as Officer on Special Duty in Home Ministry. He succeeds Rajiv Gauba who has been appointed as the new Cabinet Secretary.
9. In a surprising move, US President Donald Trump expressed desire to buy Greenland. The Prime Minister of Denmark Mette Frederiksen, who found the notion to be absurd, declined the offer. Trump, in fact, cancelled his scheduled visit to Denmark in September after the refusal.
10. The Assam Government has decided to appoint a third party agency to study the problems of the tea industry. The proposed, agency could be a management institute or any other top agency.