- Odisha has received a GI tag for its version of Rasgulla, a year after west Bengal got the GI tag for its version of Rasagola in November 2017. Odisha had been claiming the geographical tag for the sweet since a few years. GI registry based in Chennai, issued the formal certification for “Odisha Rasagola”.
2. Sawan Shivratri will be observed on July 30 this year. The auspicious day is also known as Masa Shivaratri. Sawan or Shravan month, which began on July 17, will continue till August 15. The holy month is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
3. PM Narendra Modi will be seen in an all-new avatar in the upcoming Man vs Wild episode with adventurer host Bear Grylls. Mod will be Bear Grylls’ special guest in the exclusive episode, which will air on August 12, 2019 at 9 pm on the Discovery Channel.
4. Mehbooba Mufti, former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister, warned the ruling government saying that any tinkering with Article 35 A would be akin to setting a powder keg on fire.
5. S Jaipal Reddy was a five-time Lok Sabha MP, four-time MLA, two-time Rajya Sabha MP and union minister under three governments.
6. India and Benin have signed an important agreement for the circulation of diplomatic passport holders from both countries, which will enable diplomatic passports from both Benin and India to travel to both countries without visa.
7. The International Tiger Day is observed across the world on 29 July to raise awareness about declining numbers of wild tigers. To observe the Day, PM Narendra Modi launched a census report of tigers in India titled ‘The Tiger Estimation Report 2018’.
8. K R Ramesh Kumar announced his resignation as the Karnataka Assembly Speaker on July 29, 2019 following the adoption of confidence motion moved by chief minister B S Yediyurappa.
9. Mary Kom and Simranjit Kaur won the gold medal in 51kg category and 60kg category respectively each in the 23rd President’s Cup Boxing Tournament held in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia.
10. The 2020 Khelo India Youth Games will be held in Guwahati, Assam, as announced by Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju. The third edition of games will begin from 18 January 2020.