1. Labour Day was observed across the world on May 1, 2019. The day is also known as International Worker’s Day and May Day. The day is celebrated by the working classes and is promoted by the international labor movement, socialists and communists.
2. Indonesia on April 29, 2019, announced its plans to move its capital away from Jakarta. President Joko Widodo’s government plans to establish a new Capital out of the crowded Java Island to ensure more equitable development of the country amid environmental concerns and overcrowding issues.
3. Japanese Emperor of ‘Heisei’ era, Akihito began his abdication rituals on April 30, 2019, at a Shinto shrine, marking the end of his reign with hope for a new era. Japan on April 1, 2019, declared ‘Reiwa’ as the name of its new imperial era that will begin on May 1, 2019.
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will shortly issue Rs.20 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing the signature of Shaktikanta Das, Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. The new Rs.20 banknote has a motif of Ellora Caves on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage. The base color of the note is Greenish Yellow.
5. A mini-marathon titled ‘run to vote’ was conducted on April 28, 2019, in Leh district of Jammu and Kashmir’s Ladakh region which is going to polls in the last phase of the Lok Sabha elections on May 6. The main objective of the marathon was to promote voter awareness and educate the target population about EVM and VVPAT.
6. Raheem Sterling has been named the 2019 footballer of the year by the Football Writers’ Association (FWA). The Manchester City and England forward topped the poll of the 400-strong FWA membership as a clear winner, with 62 percent of the votes. It was more than 100 votes ahead of Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk.
7. The Shanghai Co-operation Organisation (SCO) Defence Ministers’ conclave was held at Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan on April 29, 2019. India’s Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attended the conclave and held bilateral meetings with her Chinese and Russian counterparts and Chief of General Staff of Kyrgyz Armed Forces. Key bilateral defense issues, including defense co-operation, were discussed. India became a full member of the SCO in 2017.
8. The Supreme Court on April 29, 2019, sought a response from the Election Commission on a plea seeking abolition of a provision in election rules that provides for prosecution of an elector if a complaint alleging malfunctioning of EVMs and VVPATs turns out to be false. A three-judge bench headed by CJI Ranjan Gogoi took note of the plea, which alleged that Rule 49MA of ‘The Conduct of Elections Rules’ was unconstitutional as it criminalizes reporting of malfunctioning of Electronic Voting Machines and Voter Verified Paper Audit Trails.
30th April 2019 Current Affairs PDF: Download
30th April 2019 Current Affairs Quiz: Click Here